19 Jul Power Food: Strawberry Spinach Salad
It seems like everybody just loves Strawberries and summertime is the perfect time to enjoy a bowl of these fresh ripe berries. The Power Food this week is Strawberries! Strawberries are the only fruit that wears their seeds on the outside. The average berry is adorned with some 200 of them. Strawberries are eaten in a number of different ways including fresh, dried, as a jam, in a drink or even in a bar. You think strawberries are only red? Think twice! There are yellow, blue, white, black, purple strawberries too. Some strawberries are even the size of apples. Strawberries have also been used throughout history in a medicinal context to help with digestive ailments, teeth whitening, and skin irritations.
Strawberries are an excellent source of Vitamin C as well as providing a good dose of fiber, folic acid, manganese, and potassium. Just one serving of strawberries has the same vitamin C as a whole orange. They also contain significant amounts of phytonutrients and antioxidants known as polyphenols. These potent little packages protect your heart, increase HDL (good) cholesterol, lower your blood pressure, and guard against cancer. Vitamin C, which is also vital for the proper function of a healthy immune system, is good for preventing colds and may be helpful in preventing recurrent ear infections. This is why Strawberries give you Healing Powers!
Top 10 Health Benefits of Strawberries:
- Helps burn stored fat
- Boost short-term memory – The anthocyanins boost short-term memory by 100 percent in eight weeks.
- Low in Calories – High in Fiber – One cup only 54 calories
- Ease Inflammation – Strawberries lower blood levels of C-reactive protein (CRP), a signal of inflammation in the body. In a study, women who ate 16 or more strawberries per week were 14% less likely to have elevated levels of CRP. (Harvard School of Public Health.)
- Lower cardiovascular disease – Flavonoids are responsible for the color and flavor of strawberries — lower the risk for heart disease.
- Promote bone health – Strawberries contain potassium, vitamin K, and magnesium, which are important for bone health.
- Prevent oesophageal cancer – freeze-dried strawberry powder may help prevent human oesophageal cancer.
- Anti-aging properties – Strawberries are filled with biotin, which helps build strong hair and nails. They also contain the antioxidant ellagic acid, which protects the elastic fibers in our skin to prevent sagging.
- Good for weight loss – The compound nitrate found promotes blood flow and oxygen in our body, which is great for weight loss.
- Promote eye health – Eating three or more servings of fruit like strawberries may lower the risk of macular degeneration, a condition resulting in vision loss. (Archives of Ophthalmology)
Summer Time Strawberry Spinach Salad
Our friends at Juice Plus shared with us this delectable recipe for the perfect Summer Time Strawberry Spinach Salad!
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 10 ounces fresh spinach – rinsed, dried and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1-quart strawberries – cleaned, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup almonds, blanched and slivered
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sugar, olive oil, vinegar, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, and onion. Cover, and chill for one hour.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, strawberries, and almonds. Pour dressing over salad, and toss. Refrigerate 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Do you or your children struggle to eat the recommended 7-13 servings of fruits, vegetables, and berries every day? Do you struggle with getting healthy breakfasts or lunches in your families bodies? Well, we now have a solution for you. We have partnered with Juice Plus+, a whole food supplement, that is packed full of 25 different fruits, vegetables, and berries in a convenient soft chew or capsule. In addition, they have a delicious vegan dairy free protein shake and protein bars for quick meals on the go. Recommended by thousands of physicians, including Dr. William Sears and also backed by 38 Peer Reviewed, Medical Journaled Clinical Studies Juice Plus+ is efficacious and bioavailable. Juice Plus+ helps build strong immune systems, establishes better food cravings, improves cardiovascular wellness and truly makes a difference in the bodies overall health. For more information on its many benefits check out the website: www.amazingathletes.juiceplus.com.